Monday, September 16, 2013

Strive. Thrive. Survive.

At last it is finally the second week of school, although it feels like the first week could have lasted a year. School is hardly recognizable this year. Everything has changed from our principal, to our schedules. The first week has truly been an adjustment period, and we are finally starting to see the effects of a stretched budget. Numerous clubs that are now student ran (if they still exist) are starting to strategize fundraising plans to hopefully save their clubs. There is no more time during the day reserved for clubs to meet as well, meaning these children (including myself) have to find time before and after school to meet, which is very difficult. Due to the laying off of teachers we had to flip our schedule up side down. Let me tell you, after following the same routine for two years it is awfully hard to adapt to longer class periods, larger class sizes, and the lack of resources and supplies in each room. From what I am told teachers aren't even given a ream of paper anymore, everything they need they must buy out of their own pocket. The art department has no budget for supplies this year and is now asking for donations from parents to order basic supplies. I started the first week very reluctant and unwilling to all of these changes. The same thought kept reoccurring in my head, "none of this had to happen if we had just been funded properly". Regardless of these immense changes, I have vowed to exceed expectations and do even better this year with what I am given. It is apparent that this fight for education is far from over and I do not plan on standing down anytime soon. My weapon in this fight is my intelligence, and I hope other students will realize this as well. Strive, thrive and survive with what you have been given. No matter how difficult it maybe SUCCEED, because it is the last thing that they are expecting from us.

No comments:

Post a Comment